Learn more about our health scheme
Sheffield Physical Activity Referral Scheme
Places Leisure – Fit4Health Scheme
If you have a long term health condition our Fit 4 Health Exercise Referral scheme could be a great way for you to get active.
The scheme is part of the citywide SPARs referral scheme which offers specialist exercise prescription for people with medical conditions and where an increase in activity will be of benefit.
Our supportive and experienced team will support you through a 12 week exercise programme, to suit your medical condition, lifestyle and current goals.
All of our sites are dementia friendly and run a number of different types of classes and programmes related to different health conditions or to support you to be active in a group environment, examples include:
- Gentle Fit Classes
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Stroke Support
- Love to Move – Dementia friendly Chair Based Exercise
- Yoga and Pilates classes
- Aquatic based classes
You will receive the following support:
- A 1-1 consultation with an Exercise Referral Specialist who will plan the most suitable exercise programme for you
- 12 weeks discounted leisure centre access (including, classes, gym and swimming)
- Weekly specialist exercise classes that are tailored to consider and improve your condition (Venue Specific)
- Access to continued support from your allocated Exercise Referral Instructor
- 12 week follow up consultation and review
- Discount on all inclusive membership (T&C apply)
Our Exercise Referral Scheme covers a wide range of conditions including
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Mental Health related conditions
- Diabetes Type I and II
- Obesity BMI > 25
- Chronic musculoskeletal conditions (including OA, RA, back pain, joint replacements)
- Chronic Neurological Disease (e.g. MS, Parkinson’s)
- Cardiac and Heart related conditions (* Subject to condition and time period of diagnosis)
If you feel the scheme would be of benefit to you, please visit your GP or a medical professional to request a referral to the scheme which can be done online via the link below:
Please note if you have a cardiovascular condition your GP and/or health professional will be required to complete BACPR form in addition the online referral form. The form and protocol can be downloaded from the following links:
Here are some comments from people who have attended the scheme
"Thoroughly enjoy both the physical and social aspects"
"Brilliant group sessions delivered every week by experienced and friendly instructors"
“The programme has helped me to get fit again after being diagnosed with a serious illness that left me feeling very tired. Enabled me to get my independence back”
"I feel a valued member of the centre after completing the 12 week programme and continuing to be active by joining a membership”
"The class arrangement encourages participation"
"Helps put any issues into perspective, since there are others with similar experiences"
“Helped me to reduce my medication for high blood pressure”
“Feel very positive and increased my mood drastically”
For further information or if you have any questions, please call or email your chosen leisure centre using the details below:
Graves Health and Sport Centre
0114 283 9900
Thorncliffe Health and Sports Centre
0114 284 3910
Wisewood Sports Centre
0114 233 5457